SA Health Biotechnology Status
A number of government strategies and policies to support further growth of the health industry have been developed and adopted. Key to the future growth of this industry is the Bio-economy Strategy of the Department of Science & Technology. This strategy puts health Biotechnology as one of the key pillars. The Bio-Economy Strategy identifies several strengths of the local Health Biotech sector that will drive the bio-economy. These include:
- A well-developed generics industry.
- Opportunities for local manufacturing due to improving public- and private-sector focus on generics supply chain management.
- The largest market in the world (by volume) for HIV drugs.
- Modern science, local biodiversity, and indigenous knowledge systems could be combined to accelerate product development.
- World-class clinical sciences researchers and a regulatory framework provide opportunities for globally competitive clinical development.
- World-class researchers in basic sciences, drug, and diagnostics discovery, and therapeutic delivery systems.
- Significant investments in vaccine production.
- Strategic international partnerships with countries and organisations.